Monday, March 7, 2011

Two Paintings

Here are two paintings I have recently completed. The first painting, Fontaine à Aix, I started last summer. I sketched in the design but debated whether I should put in figures. It sat unpainted for 6 months. I finally decided a month ago to place 5 figures to the right of the fountain. That did not work. The figures were competing with the fountain which I intended as the center of interest. So the viewer thought what is this a story about? is it about a lonely, serene fountain or a bunch of Italian tourists? Finally I  washed out four of the figures.


The still life I did with Chardin in mind. He was a French painter who is notable for his still life paintings. This was a project for my watercolor workshop at Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, California. 


DOUBLE CLICK the photos to see larger renditions. to see more work go to www.kenharris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment