Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Acrylic

Huntington Beach Sunset


This is an acrylic painting I have done recently. Acrylic is an interesting medium. You have to work fast because the paint dries fast. The upside is if you make a mistake wait for the paint to dry, which isn't long, and then repaint over your mistake. This was painted on a 8' x 10' piece of plywood I had primed with with acrylic gesso.





Still Life

The Image above I painted with the class I am teaching at Vanguard University of Southern California. It is a still life made up of elements from my house. A Fiesta Ware pitcher, a pear and a chili and an orange from my yard. The painting is based on a painting by the Spanish painter, Francisco Zurburan (see image below). You can learn a lot as an artist by taking a painting you like from a master and copy the style into one of your own compositions. See link to learn more about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_de_Zurbarán


Lemons by Francisco Zurbaran

No comments:

Post a Comment