Friday, November 19, 2021

Fall Watercolors 2021

The below painting measuring 15" x 22" was painted on Winsor & Newton Watercolor paper. It was old watercolor paper that had been deeded to me. I wasn't impressed the first time I used it a while back, but I felt it worked quite well with this painting I call, "Palmer Pioneer Barn".


This is another Watercolor Sketch painted on cheap drawing paper. I paint quickly and try not to use much water because the paper is so thin, but still the paper buckles. It is basically a portrait of the Knik River valley. In the distant, not rendered, is where the Kink glacier located. 



This painting is of Wasilla, Alaska during the 1950s. The vintage cars fascinated me, I owned a car similar to the vehicle in the middle. I was also intrigued by the fact that the roads had not been paved yet.



Below is a watercolor about fall in the Matanuska Valley, north of Anchorage. It is a small lake near where I live that has rainbow trout in it. I have fished there many times and have not done so well. I felt like I needed a boat.The Alaskan sunsets there are stunning. The fishing can be good though. I witnessed a native Alaskan Fellow catch a huge 19 inch rainbow trout. He was fishing right next to me when he caught it. I vowed to go back the next evening and fish, but I got Covid. This is a nice painting. I sold it right away when I displayed it online.



This next fishing scene is about fishing on the Knik river in Alaska during the "Silver" run in August. A friend of mine who is an expert angler took me fishing. Each time we went the weather was different. This day was foggy. Quiet and peaceful. I painted this on 12" x 14" sketch paper using two colors, Ultra Marine Blue and Burnt Sienna. I also added touches of white gouache on the ripples and gravel shoreline.




No comments:

Post a Comment